Thank You for Your Donation:) only $1

Eraldo

February 16, 2026

Five takeaways from Astros' first week of spring training

Plus: Answering Isaac Paredes questions

 ͏  ͏  ͏
Inside Pitch
Title Sponsor

Presidents Day Sale! 6 Months For 99¢

Get our best offer on digital access.

Subscribe Now

One Week Only

Houston Astros infielder Isaac Paredes (15) warms up during workouts for pitchers and catchers at CACTI Park of the Palm Beaches in West Palm Beach, Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026.

Five early Astros observations from spring training

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — Hello, Astros fans. Welcome to spring training and another season. Last year saw Houston miss the playoffs for the first time since 2016. For a franchise with October standards, was that an aberration or an inflection point? The next eight-plus months hold the answer.

February is permeated by possibility. The Astros convened their full roster today, Monday, for their first full-squad spring workout. The pitching staff is flush with offseason acquisitions. The outfield is light on major-league experience. The infield is … complicated.

Trade rumors swirled around Houston's infield surplus all offseason. That group is now in camp, in full, with more starters than there appear spots to use them. And Dana Brown's declaration Friday that the team is "not done yet" underscored the reality that a trade could still be coming.

The clock to Opening Day is ticking. Camps are open. Here are five observations from the first week of the Astros' (mostly pitchers and catchers) workouts in West Palm Beach: 

The infield logjam is real — and a looming issue

To recap: Isaac Paredes has no clear position with Carlos Correa at third base, Jeremy Peña at shortstop, Jose Altuve the primary second baseman and Christian Walker returning at first base.

Astros officials have struck the stance that Paredes can move around — playing some first, third or even second base and at DH — and there are enough at-bats to spread around. It is also instructive, however, to consider comments from the players involved.

Altuve said he aims to play 150-plus games this season. Peña stated his desire to play all 162. Walker, perhaps the top candidate to cede at-bats to Paredes, said "my goal is to be on the field every single day." 

Paredes, asked if he is open to less playing time, said through an interpreter: "We'll see what happens, there's still like a month left." Correa openly acknowledged the potential for more roster moves.

"We have a lot of people that potentially could be used later on for trades and all that," Correa said. "I'm not a GM, but I know that only four infielders can play at a time. So you've got to make some moves, put some people in the outfield, you've got to have depth also in case somebody gets hurt …"

Brown, the GM, also knows only four infielders can play at a time. How the Astros resolve their surplus is the biggest question as camp begins. The current situation is, at best, tenuous.

Yordan Alvarez is fully healthy

Giving Paredes, or another infielder, significant starts at designated hitter could be one answer — except manager Joe Espada has said Yordan Alvarez will get a "majority" of his starts at DH this season.

A desire to keep Alvarez healthy is sound. He is the Astros' most dangerous hitter. Yet Alvarez does not seem opposed to playing left field. Asked about plans to mostly DH him, Alvarez was pointedly vague.

"I don't have any say about that," Alvarez said through an interpreter Sunday. "I'm just getting ready to do my job and focus on doing my job out there."

Would the Astros use Alvarez more in left field? It could open the DH spot for others — and help define their outfield. Alvarez noted that his injuries have not occurred on defense, a valid point.

For now, Alvarez said the left ankle he injured stepping on home plate last September is pain-free, and he looks forward to putting a "difficult" injury-marred 2025 behind him. The Astros would welcome it.

Josh Hader is behind schedule

Hader, the six-time All-Star closer, said a bout of "biceps inflammation" kept him from throwing for about 10 days entering camp. He has resumed playing catch but not throwing off a mound.

Hader deemed the issue "a little setback" and "nothing too concerning for me." That is encouraging, but the timing creates some question of whether Hader can be available for opening day.

The Astros and Hader are entering season three of a five-year, $95 million deal. Hader had never been on the major-league IL for an injury until last August, when he was sidelined by a shoulder capsule sprain.

Hader said he believes his biceps issue is unrelated to that shoulder injury but acknowledged he's "taking it week by week" with the latter, suggesting Houston could begin the season without its closer.

César Salazar is the backup catcher — for now

Though Brown said all offseason the Astros would seek a backup catcher to replace Victor Caratini, they convened camp with starter Yainer Diaz and Salazar as the only catchers on their 40-man roster.

That does not preclude Houston from adding a more experienced backup before opening day, especially as team officials have publicly refrained from giving Salazar the title.

"We feel like Sally is good enough to be our backup catcher," Brown said last week. "But if we can get better in that area, we'll get better."

Salazar has played in 36 major-league games and is out of minor-league options. Espada said the backup role is "his job to lose," but that could change if the Astros bring in a more established candidate.

Tatsuya Imai and the Astros are learning together

New this spring, a whiteboard next to the entrance to the Astros' spring clubhouse features a "word of the day" translated in four languages — English, Spanish, Japanese and Mandarin.

The latter two reflect Houston's offseason additions of Tatsuya Imai, the Japanese starter signed in free agency, and Kai-Wei Teng, the right-hander from Taiwan acquired via trade.

Imai, ideally, projects as the Astros' No. 2 or 3 starter. His first bullpen session in camp drew a crowd of Astros players and staff, reinforcing that he is both central and something of an unknown this spring.

"We're just trying to get to know him and make ourselves available for him," Espada said. "But so far it's been smooth."

Mailbag

Q: Correa at 3rd makes no sense to me. Paredes should be at 3rd, and I think Walker will get many hits this year. If anyone should go, I think it's Correa. — Tlou

Q: Before they trade Paredes for nothing, why not keep him and rotate pieces until the trade deadline where you can get more? — Louie

A: The Astros' infield situation is a result of their trading for Correa last summer, after Paredes suffered a hamstring injury. That said, Correa, signed through at least 2028, is going nowhere. Houston committed to making Correa its third baseman when it took on the remainder of his contract, minus the $33 million the Twins included in the deal, and has touted the importance of his leadership and clubhouse presence.

Correa also slashed .290/.355/430 in 51 games with Houston last year, so he was not unproductive. The issue is simply the Astros leaving no place for Paredes, who posted a 123 OPS-plus in 102 games around his injury.

The scenario Louie describes is not out of the question. Houston will not trade Paredes "for nothing" and if the team keeps him, then suffers an infield injury with Paredes ready to step in, it will look prescient. If the full infield is healthy, though, it will be difficult to allot playing time for everyone, as described above. Veterans could be displaced or displeased. Houston's dilemma is whether to accept that risk.

Reminder: Inside Pitch sends out a biweekly mailbag to subscribers during the season. Sign up to receive the newsletter here. And submit any Astros questions you have via the Houston Chronicle website, by email to matt.kawahara@houstonchronicle.com, or on X/Twitter to @matthewkawahara.

Photo of Matt Kawahara

Matt Kawahara, Astros Beat Writer

matt.kawahara@houstonchronicle.com

Display Advertisement

Quote of the Week

"I was in the building for like 20 seconds. I was like, man, how did I already manage to upset the manager?"  

 Pitcher Hunter Brown, on manager Joe Espada summoning him on his first day in camp to tell Brown he will be the Opening Day starter.

Display Advertisement

Top stories we're watching...

Display Advertisement

Recommended Reading

Discover something new with the Property Taxes newsletter

Get alerts on key dates and important information about property taxes and appraisal protests.

Add as a preferred source on Google
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedInTikTok

Privacy Notice  |  Terms of Use

Unsubscribe  |  Manage Preferences

Houston Chronicle - Footer Logo

Houston Chronicle
4747 Southwest Freeway, Houston, TX 77027

© 2026 Hearst Newspapers, LLC

With new headquarters in motion, what does it mean for NRG Stadium?

Plus mock draft and Texans Trivia!

 ͏  ͏  ͏
Texans Insider
Title Sponsor

Presidents Day Sale! 6 Months For 99¢

Get our best offer on digital access.

Subscribe Now

One Week Only

Exterior of NRG stadium in the first half at NRG Stadium on Sunday, Nov. 20, 2022 in Houston.

What are implications of new Texans headquarters on future of NRG Stadium?

The Houston Texans cleared the first major hurdle that will allow them to build a new team headquarters and training facility they've long been hoping to build for the past several years. 

Harris County agreed to partner with the Texans and Howard Hughes Communities on Thursday, establishing the foundation for a proposed 83-acre site that will not only include the training facility on 22 acres, but also mixed-used development with restaurants, doctors' offices, hotels and retail outlets on the remaining 61 acres. 

The site will be in northwest Harris County in the fast-growing Bridgeland area, which was developed by Howard Hughes, which also helped develop The Woodlands, as well as several other communities across the country. 

The Texans believe this will help give them a competitive advantage, making them an attractive destination for prospective free agents as well as an upgrade to their current training facility with state-of-the-art features and more practice fields. 

It'll also give the organization a space they can call their own, as they currently share their headquarters at NRG Stadium with the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo and Harris County, which owns the venue. 

So how could this affect their negotiations with the county and rodeo in their pursuit to either upgrade NRG Stadium or build a new stadium altogether? More than what some will suggest.

The current lease agreement expires in 2032. And this deal for the headquarters, at least, establishes goodwill between the Texans and Harris County, as they continue to find the right solution for NRG Stadium.

But there is not a guarantee it will be all peaches and roses.

The McNairs have consistently said they will remain in the greater Houston area, which leaves open the possibility that surrounding counties could be players in this, if for some reason negotiations between the Texans, rodeo and Harris County hit a snag.

And there should be plenty of suitors based on the fact that several counties approached the Texans to build their headquarters within their borders. 

Right now, Harris County has the advantage. But who knows how things will shake out in the next few years. 

Click here to read my story on the deal and what it means for the Texans and Harris County

Photo of Jonathan Alexander

Jonathan M. Alexander, Texans beat reporter

jonathan.alexander@houstonchronicle.com

Display Advertisement

Texans Trivia!

Last week's Trivia question: Who is the father of the Seahawks' offensive coordinator?

Last week's answer: Gary Kubiak, the former Texans head coach, is the father of Klint Kubiak, now the Raiders' coach.

We actually had a lot of people answer this correctly. But shoutout to Bruce Bradley for being the first!

Monday's Trivia question: Who is the Texans' all-time leader in tackles?

The first person to email me the correct answer to this Trivia question gets a shoutout in the next newsletter.


Kayden McDonald could be a plug-and-play starter for the Texans depending on how much change happens at defensive tackle.

Photo by: James Black, Icon Sportswire Via Getty Images

Mock draft 1.0

I used Pro Football Network's mock draft simulator to simulate what other teams will do, then made the Texans' picks based on their needs and Nick Caserio's tendencies. I also factored in the fact that the Texans may address certain needs, including guard and center in free agency. 

Some of these selections are different from what Houston started with because they include trades.

Here are the first five selections for the Texans: 

R1, No. 28: Kayden McDonald, DT, Ohio State
R2, No. 38: Lee Hunter, DT, Texas Tech
R2, No. 62: Jadarian Price, RB, Notre Dame
R3, No. 69: Gabe Lucas, Edge, Illinois
R3, No. 98: Beau Stephens, G, Iowa

To learn the reasons for these selections, click here.

Display Advertisement

Top Stories

Houston Texans offensive linemen Blake Fisher (57), Ed Ingram (69), Jake Andrews (60), Laken Tomlinson (75), Aireontae Ersery (79) break the huddle during the first half of a preseason NFL football game against the Carolina Panthers at NRG Stadium in Houston, Saturday, Aug. 16, 2025.

Photo by: Brett Coomer, Houston Chronicle

How to address offensive line

The Texans must fortify the interior of their offensive line this offseason if they want to improve their offense and compete with the NFL's elite teams. A look at the key questions facing them.

Read More

  • NFLPA report cards: The NFLPA's annual report cards, a big source of offseason discussion and an area where the Texans shined, will no longer be publicized following an arbitrator's ruling. Read More
  • Schaub's new gig: Matt Schaub, the Texans' career leader in several passing categories, is poised to join a former coach of his on Arizona's new staff. Read More
  • Texans, Harris County join long list: It's a question almost every big Texas city seems to be facing: When is it okay for taxpayers to foot the bill for professional sports teams? Read More
  • Top free agents: Who could the Texans target in free agency? Here's a look at this year's top free agents, some of whom could be good fits in Houston. Read More

One last thing ...

Thanks for following along with my work this season. It was a fun year.

If you are not a subscriber, please consider subscribing as we continue to provide more offseason stories. 

Our newsletter will hit your in-box each Monday during the offseason, with the mailbag newsletter coming on the first Wednesday of every month.

Display Advertisement

Recommended Reading

Discover something new with the Property Taxes newsletter

Get alerts on key dates and important information about property taxes and appraisal protests.

Add as a preferred source on Google
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube LinkedInTikTok

Privacy Notice  |  Terms of Use

Unsubscribe  |  Manage Preferences

Houston Chronicle - Footer Logo

Houston Chronicle
4747 Southwest Freeway, Houston, TX 77027

© 2026 Hearst Newspapers, LLC